Fall River Historical Society is housed in an 1843/1871 French Second Empire structure, once a station on the Underground Railroad, that features magnificent period interiors, including the largest concentration of 19th century polychrome stenciling in Southeastern Massachusetts. The grounds surrounding the museum and its annex contain terraced gardens and parterres in the Victorian manner.
The structure is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as part of Fall River’s Historic Highlands District, an area that contains a wide variety of mostly residential homes largely built between 1840 and 1925. The NRHP is the official list of historic places in the United States worthy of preservation. Created in 1966, it recognizes properties that are significant with regard to local, state, or national history.